- Partner: Fundación Real Betis Balompié
- Email: https://homelessworldcup.org/contact-us/
- Telephone: 1 Broughton MarketEH3 6NU Edimburgo
The last time a global survey was attempted – by the United Nations in 2005 – an estimated 100 million people were homeless worldwide. As many as 1.6 billion people lacked adequate housing (Habitat, 2015).
The Homeless World Cup Foundation is a unique, pioneering charity which uses football to inspire people who are homeless to change their own lives.
The Vision of Homeless World Cup Foundation is a world without homelessness. Their Mission is to use football to support and inspire people who are homeless to change their lives; and to change perceptions and attitudes towards people who are experiencing homelessness.
Homeless World Cup Foundation operates through a Network of Street Football Partners across 70+ countries to support grassroots football programmes. They organise and deliver an annual, world-class, international football tournament for national teams of men and women who are homeless. To be able to be part of the event, participants must be at least 16 years old, have not taken part in previous Homeless World Cup tournament, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have been homeless at some point in the last year, in accordance with the national definition of homelessness
- Make their main living income as street paper vendor
- Asylum seekers currently without positive asylum status or who were previously asylum seekers but obtained residency status
- Currently in drug or alcohol rehabilitation and have been homeless at some point in the past two years